Email template-INPUT

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:06 AM
Hi

I'm struggling to find a way to have an email template/form be used as input to create a case.  Is there any info on doing this?

We're trying to use CRM as a helpdesk tool and want to restrict what users can enter - so the case can be populated correctly.  Any tips?

Thanks
Katie
Coordinator
Nov 5, 2008 at 7:19 PM
Hi Katie,

The only thing CRM Queue Manager will help you with is to convert an incoming e-mail to a case on one or more queues i.e. to handle incoming support mail. If you need more helpdesk functionality I would take a look at http://www.c360.com/CustomerPortal.aspx if you need CRM integration. I believe it's quite pricy, though. If you have basic development skills then it's quite easy to do it yourself (basic login for customer (contact/account), creating cases, listing cases etc). I might be interested in putting this together if you can detail your requirements.

Thanks,
Manso
Nov 12, 2008 at 6:30 AM

Hi Manso

Thanks for your feedback. Basically what we’re after is an email template that users can fill out that will have:

Account Name

Contact email

Case Title

Case Description

We’d like to then take these fields and use them to populate the case in CRM. We’re trying to use workflow to create a case from email, but are now having problems with the text being too large for the description field.

Any pointers? Or any idea how long it would take to put the above together? We’re trying to get our crm up and running and don’t have development skills in house, so are struggling with some of the finer points of the system.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Katie

Sent: Thursday, 6 November 2008 5:20 AM
To: Katie Ball
Subject: Re: Email template-INPUT [crmqueuemanager:39147]

Hi Katie,

The only thing CRM Queue Manager will help you with is to convert an incoming e-mail to a case on one or more queues i.e. to handle incoming support mail. If you need more helpdesk functionality I would take a look at http://www.c360.com/CustomerPortal.aspx if you need CRM integration. I believe it's quite pricy, though. If you have basic development skills then it's quite easy to do it yourself (basic login for customer (contact/account), creating cases, listing cases etc). I might be interested in putting this together if you can detail your requirements.

Thanks,
Manso

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (crmqueuemanager@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email crmqueuemanager@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Coordinator
Nov 12, 2008 at 6:29 PM

There are several things you need to consider here and think about the whole process, from case creation, the communication with the client all the way to when the case is closed. Cases are created for a "customer" i.e. a contact or an account. This means the user somehow has to be created (signed up) and logged on in order to log cases. Otherwise you would end up with duplicate users. I'd prefer to log cases for contacts and not accounts.

A quick process: Allow the user to enter e-mail address, name and password (and any other information you might want). Confirmation e-mail will be sent and user will be logged on. Once logged on user can create new case. I wouldn't use the Description field more than for a summary of the issue and/or internal information not visible to the customer. I'd use Notes (and move this to the first tab) for this because files can be attached and it caters better for the dialogue that will occur when communicating with customers. Then you can create workflows that will notify you/customer of replies, notify of case status changes etc etc. Later this can be improved by allowing the customer view issues online.

However, if you are trying to create a case based on an e-mail then why are you not using Queue Manager? This is what it does. Did you have a look at C360's solution?

As for the max length it's not easy to change (impossible in a supported manner). Check out e.g. http://dan9298.blogspot.com/2008/04/increasing-length-of-crm-30-custom.html

It would take me a couple of days to put together something flexible enough and unfortunately I don't have the time right now. In order to do properly you really need dev skills at hand. CRM is not perfect for a helpdesk out-of-the-box.

Manso