This project is read-only.

How does Queue Manager treat leads?

Developer
Jun 19, 2009 at 9:48 PM

First of all, great solution for CRM!

How does Queue Manager handle leads?  Can it find a lead based on the email address (the way it does with contacts) and convert the lead to a contact?  Will it create a duplicate contact if a lead already exists in CRM?

I think I already know the answers to these questions but I wanted to get a discussion started.

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Glad you like it.

Because Queue Manager's primary task is to create cases we are limited to what CRM can support when it comes to case creation. The customerid attribute of a case is of the type Customer which only holds accounts and contacts. We could have searched for leads and if a match was found we could have created a contact and used that for case creation. I can't really see the business case for that, though. So yes, duplicates can exist in contacts and leads, which is normal because leads tend to become contacts at some point.

We will however not create duplicate contacts.

Developer
Jun 22, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Our normal work process when creating a contact is to first check if the person exists as a lead.  If so, then convert the lead to a contact.  If not, create the contact.  I assume this is typical of most CRM users.

From what you're saying, it seems that Queue Manager does not look at leads before creating contacts and this is where I see the possiblility of having duplicates.  If QM doesn't look at leads before creating a contact you run the risk of having a duplicate record for a person in the lead table and in the contact table.

Do you think there is a possibility of adding this functionality?

Coordinator
Jun 23, 2009 at 3:59 PM

A lead eventually/hopefully becomes a contact/aacount at some point. The lead is still there, although deactivated. So IMHO it's OK with (or should be) duplicates between leads <-> contacts. Also, I'm not sure that an e-mail should automatically trigger a change of relationship type i.e. a lead will become a contact. Something else should do that e.g. you need to send a quote, create an opportunity or the relationship qualifies the lead as a potential customer of some sort.

I understand your problem, though. When we create a contact you are missing the feature to relate back to the lead as the qualification process does but I can't immediately see how it should be implemented. An option "auto relate back to lead"? If a lead exist by that e-mail address we should automatically qualify the lead rather than creating it from scratch? Should it become an account or a contact? Or both?